RE: root again.

Subject: RE: root again.
From: Larry Collier (larry@medease.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 12:17:22 AKST

I don't have any machines using GRUB.

With LILO, I boot the computer and at the LILO prompt I enter "linux
single". This puts me in single user mode - in this mode whoever logs on
is, in effect, root. Use "passwd root" and then reboot. If GRUB allows
some way to do single user mode at boot this should work.

Another way that I've personally never tried is, while running, enter "init
s". This should cause the system to enter single user mode then you can set
your passwd. YOu cna then enter "init 3" or "init 5" to return to your
normal runlevel. (or just reboot).

HTH,

Larry