Re: Network speeds

Subject: Re: Network speeds
From: Craig Callender (craigc@corith.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 17:31:35 AKST

Have to add TCP/IP overhead (if that is what you are using), any other
type of overhead,. received packets, checksums... etc...

Craig

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:18:00 -0900
From: Mike Barsalou <mbarsalou@aidea.org>
To: "'aklug@aklug.org'" <aklug@aklug.org>
Subject: Network speeds

Is it right to say 100mbits/sec = 12.5 mbytes/sec = 750 mbytes/min = 45000
mbytes/hour? Something tells me that my math is wrong somewhere.

I realize these would be theoretical because of overhead and such.

I am trying to determine how long it might take to copy 20Gigs of data over
a 100mb link.

Mike

        In the beginning there was data. The data was without form and
null, and darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of
IBM was moving over the face of the market. And DEC said, "Let there
be registers"; and there were registers. And DEC saw that they
carried; and DEC separated the data from the instructions. DEC called
the data Stack, and the instructions they called Code. And there was
evening and there was morning, one interrupt.
                -- Rico Tudor, "The Story of Creation or, The Myth of Urk"