Iptables and NAT

Subject: Iptables and NAT
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 08:30:04 AKST

I'd like to start a discussion about iptables and NAT (SNAT, DNAT, etc.) I
just went through an IPTABLES tutorial and I am left slightly confused....
Here is what I think so far:

There are three "tables" that are used:

NAT
MANGLE
FILTER

From what I can tell the filter table behaves much the way you would expect
to use ipchains setup, only it goes specifically in the FILTER table.

There are new default chains in each of these tables.

It seems like IPTABLES has made firewalling a little more complicated.
Although now, all the forwarding to local hosts is included, you wouldn't
have to compile it separately.

Anyone care to share their experience? Good places for scripts or
administration tools that make it easier for us folks who just want to point
and click?

Mike