Re: MSI SM-6340M v5

Subject: Re: MSI SM-6340M v5
From: james (zuelow@gci.net)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 22:55:31 AKST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Elkins" <linuxrobot@yahoo.com>
To: "james" <zuelow@gci.net>; <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 10:10 PM

Hmm.

I did a Google and I couldn't find this particular problem when I searched
for video and SM-6340. (I got no hits at all with SM-6340M). Also, your
MB comes in two varieties - one with 2 serial ports, and one with 1 serial
port and 1 video port. I'm wondering if there is a different BIOS for
each, and what would happen if they got mixed up.

However try this:

------8><-----

Remove Everything from your board, all cards, CPU and FAN, and memory.
Disconnect the IDE and Floppy cables.
CLEAR CMOS with the jumper for about 1 minute.
Power up system for 1 minute.
Power down.
Put in CPU and its FAN/HEATSINK.
Power up for about 1 minute.
Power down.
Install memory and video card.
Power up.
Hopefully this will get you up to BIOS.
In BIOS, you won't want to tweak anything other than date and time till
you get it to boot up ok.
Add your IDE and Floppy stuff. Recheck good boot.
Put back in your other cards one at a time and be sure it boots clean.

From what I've seen here and on the Via forum, it looks like this happens
alot on VIA chipset systems.

Which is from this link:

http://cweb.msi.com.tw/eforum/?target=article&tid=10396