Re: WINE, vmware, win4lin

Subject: Re: WINE, vmware, win4lin
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 17:53:52 AKST

wine - I rarely get it to work at all. The best that I have done is to
run StarCraft using Transgaming's WineX. It runs, but is pretty slow
and the mouse movement is slugish. Nothing else I've tried has worked,
even apps that other people claim to have gotten to work. To be fair, I
never used it with the actual windows DLL's, which may work better.

VMware - Works great. I've never had it not run any app that I tried to
run on the Win98 that I installed under it. It takes a fairly large
chunk of resources to work, so you need a beefy system with lots of RAM
or your system will drag. I hear that this has improved since the
version that I bought. One of the benefits of VMware over Win4Lin is
that you can install any of several different OS's including other
instances of Linux, where Win4Lin only lets you run one instance of
Windows.

Win4Lin - Awsome. I only tried a demo, but it was super fast, almost to
the point that you couldn't tell that it wasn't a full windows machine.
I never had any stability problems with it. The version that I tried
only let me have one install of windows, but that may have changed,
since that was a while ago.

If you only need to run a sinlge session of Windows, I would put my
money on Win4Lin.

If you need to run multiple sessions and/or different OS's, go with
VMware.

Feel free to play with wine, but I wouldn't trust it to run anything
important.

As always, YMMV.

Anthony