Re: Reading a dos partition

Subject: Re: Reading a dos partition
bryan@ak.net
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 22:15:11 AKST

Adam Elkins wrote in <20020130070721.8150C301B@asimov.lib.uaa.alaska.edu>:

> Yeah, it's fat. I got it to work....ddoing mkdir /mnt/winnt , mount -t vfat
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/winnt worked. I found though, I cannot cd to a dir that has
> caps in the title (like 'Program Files') so I simply changed all the windirs
> to lowercase....

Case matters in UNIX-type operating systems, even if you're
browsing a filesystem created by windows. A filename with
capital letters in the filesystem hierarchy must be specified
with capital letters (and spaces must be handled somehow).
To change to a directory called 'Program Files', I would type:
  cd Program\ Files
or
  cd 'Program Files'

Filename completion makes things easier. If you type "cd Pro<tab>"
(use the tab key), the rest of the filename should be completed
for you (unless something else starts with Pro). This works in
bash, and maybe tcsh also.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net