Re: Virus spread control

Subject: Re: Virus spread control
From: James F. Zuelow Jr. (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 09:20:08 AKST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Barsalou" <mbarsalou@aidea.org>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 8:48 AM
Subject: Virus spread control

> OK....here is the scenario.....
>
> You have done all that you can do to protect yourself from viruses getting
> to your users....but somehow, someone gets a virus on their machine. This
> virus starts sending mail to all of the users recipients.
>
> As a system administrator....what do you have to do to stop all the queued
> messages from going out?
>
> In this particular exercise, let's assume that we are using sendmail.
>
> Anyone been through this or have ideas about it?
>
> Mike

Have you looked into Amavis (www.amavis.org)? I use it at home, and it
scans all mail, incoming and outgoing.

My setup is a central mail server that both collects internet mail from GCI
& ACS, and collects and delivers local messages from the LAN. Everyone
(well, my wife and I - the kids don't have e-mail yet) gets their mail via
POP3 or IMAP from this box.

If you have a similar setup, Amavis would be ideal. Any infected messages
would never make it past the mail server.

Cheers,

James