Re: opening a port

Subject: Re: opening a port
From: Greg Jetter (greg@lazymountain.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:00:15 AKST

On Monday 28 January 2002 01:01 pm, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:
> Once you open a port, that's all you need to do. An service that uses that
> port can now be accessed. You only need to list it in /etc/services if you
> want to refer to it by its name. Even in xinetd, you can say a services is
> unlisted, and give the port number; you don't have to list it in services.
>
> On Monday 28 January 2002 12:33, Greg Jetter wrote:
> > Hey Folks:
> >
> > Im trying to open port 8000 on my redhat 7.2 , i've added the ipchain
> > rule to my firewall rule set
> > ipchains -A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 8000 -p tcp -y -j ACCEPT
> >
> > and
> >
> > ipchains -A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 8000 -p udp -j ACCEPT
> >
> > the ipchains module is loased from my rc.local file at boot time
> >
> > every other port I closed or opened with a ipchains command works like it
> > should example I opened port 10000 for webmin with the same ipchain
> > rule ipchain -A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 10000 -p tcp -y -j ACCEPT no problem
> > the port opens .
> >
> > Do I have to do any thing else ? like list the port in the
> > /etc/services file ?
> >
> > I'm running xinetd.d , so do I have to make an entry in that ? I did'nt
> > have to for port 10000.
> >
> > any advice would be nice.
> >
> > I'm stumped as to where to procede from here
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Greg

I have tried over and over again , rebooting to reset the chains and still
no luck here is my chains maybe some more eyes will spot the problem :

output from ipchains -L

Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target prot opt source destination ports
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
http
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
8000
ACCEPT udp ------ anywhere anywhere any ->
8000
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
8001
ACCEPT udp ------ anywhere anywhere any ->
8001
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
smtp
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
pop3
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
ssh
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
10000
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
swat
ACCEPT all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a
ACCEPT all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a
REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
0:1023
REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
nfs
REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
x11:6009
REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any ->
xfs
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target prot opt source destination ports
MASQ all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

the ports should be open but the following ports 901 , 8000, 8001 are
closed but port 10000 ,80 , 113 and the rest above are open , what am I
missing , I know there are no other ipchains scripts running , on a fresh
reboot
the out put of ipchains -L is empty

so any thoughts ?

Greg