Re: Debain Install

Subject: Re: Debain Install
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 01:36:00 AKST

Adam,

I'm not sure how Debian does it's install.

If you were going through a series of CDs and got to one that is giving
these types of errors, I would suspect the disk. It could be that drive
is having trouble with CD-Rs. Some older drives have trouble reading
them, are picky about reading them, or won't read them at all.

If you completed a basic install, rebooted, and were going back to
install packages. I might suspect either the installer made a bad choice
of cdrom drivers to install (eg. Neil's RH7.2 box) OR a disk.

If it's completed a basic install, try mounting and accessing a
different disk from the command line.

If it's 1 disk in a series during the install, try not telling it to
install gnome to get it to skip these disks. Gnome is probably more
overhead than is practical on a 486 anyway. If you really want to us X
on that box, you might look at fvwm or one of the other 'lighter weight'
desktops.

Jim Gribbin