Re: Watercooling?

Subject: Re: Watercooling?
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 11:28:43 AKST

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Richard Mckinney wrote:

> I just put the server in the crawl space.
> Running the 'screamin' baracuda got to be a little too much for in the
> house. ssh allows enough connectivity for me(scp etc..)
> It would be pretty easy to wire up a serial console if you wanted to
> have acces to a console other than over the network.
>
> You could use the unused wires in a telephone line or something like
> that.

That's not a bad idea. When I was doing some work in the crawlspace a
couple of summers ago I noticed that the support span running the length
of the house has vertical 2x4s spaced very close to 19" apart. That got
me thinking that I could make a simple plywood shelf and have myself a
cheap and cool rack setup. :-)

Unfortunately my server has the tape drive, and my workstation case
doesn't have a spare 5.25" drive bay. I might revisit this idea when I
finally save up the bucks to build a new workstation using a Lian Li case.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax