Re: MIME type for PDF files

Subject: Re: MIME type for PDF files
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 13:19:56 AKST

Jim Gribbin wrote:

> Mike,
>
> The mystery deepens.
>
> When I got home, I drug out my RH7.2 box.
>
> It downloads and opens (using xpdf) .pdf files by merely clicking on
> them. The helper section in mozilla says NOTHING about .pdf files.
>
> Have you tried going ahead and clicking the save button in the
> interaction box that comes up when you clicked on the .pdf file?
>
> I have here at home boxes running RH7.0, RH7.1, and RH7.2. I have done
> NO manual tweaking on the 7.2 box, it is an absolutely stock install.
> All have Mozilla 0.9.5. All have the Ximian Gnome desktop with various
> degrees of updates. All open .pdf files using xpdf with just a click
> (they don't wait for me click any boxes or enter any parameters), single
> click and it goes. None have an advanced button, that must just be on my
> Mandrake 8.1 box at work.
>
> I don't know which version of Mozilla my Mandrake box runs. Just
> whatever was on the install CDs.
>
> Jim
>
> On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 22:57, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> > Actually, I had forgotten.. My RH7.1 box is set up to use 'xpdf'. It's
> > almost as convenient as reading a pdf in Mozilla.
> >
> > Under mime types 'application/pdf' is set to use 'xpdf %f'. It
> > compleatly downloads the pdf before opening, but opens it automatically.
> >
> > It is possible I missed something in the setup as I didn't actually set
> > it up. I think it got set that way automatically during the install of
> > Ximian gnome.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 08:59, Mike Barsalou wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to get Mozilla to use the acroread program to view PDF files
> > > when I click on a PDF link. Anyone know what the MIME type is?
> > >
> > > Mike

It seems Mozilla can use the Mime settings from KDE(Gnome?) or Mozilla.
I do not have a setting for pdf in Mozilla's preferences but it still
opens pdf files with xpdf. I have xpdf set up in KDE as the default app
for pdf docs. Mozilla 0.9.7/KDE2.2.2 Debian Unstable, smokin ;)

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.