cdrw question

Subject: cdrw question
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 19:15:23 AKST

I'm not sure what to make of this, but maybe someone
here might know what it might mean, if anything. My
laptop has two leds - one for hd activity and one for
cd-rw activity.

When I burn a cd at 4x in Linux, i get the cd led on
constantly, with the hd led flikering on and off at a
constant pace. When I burn a cd in Win98, I get the
cd light on by itself for 1/4 second, then it goes off
and the hd light comes on for a 1/4 second, and then
they both are off for a 1/4 second, and then the
process repeats.

I don't know if the difference indicates anything, but
i'm trying to figure out the cause of my excessive
number of coasters that are made in Linux. I've been
attributing it to overheating because power management
doesn't work in Linux, but I would expect the activity
lights to behave similarly whether in Windows or
Linux..

Oh well, enough rambling. If anyone has any ideas,
i'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks all,
Justin
enderak@yahoo.com