RE: MIME type for PDF files

Subject: RE: MIME type for PDF files
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 13:13:37 AKST

Mike,

Boy, did you open a can of worms. To get it working on my Mandrake 8.1
box at work - I first tryed:

Opening the gnome 'Control Center' - 'File types and programs', found
'application/pdf', edited it to add 'xpdf %f'. I then went to AKLUG LDP
mirror and tried opening a PDF how-to. It didn't work.

I then noticed that when I click on the file I needed to choose open,
however the mime-type apparantly hadn't been set properly as it wanted
me to chooses an application to open it with.

I then noticed the advanced button on the window that opened when I
clicked mon the PDF. I chose the and it gave me a window to set up a
mime-type for PDF's. I typed in 'xpdf %f' as the application and tryed
this. It still didn't work.

I knew I had to be close - so I tryed logging out of gnome and
restarting X.

        Now it works!!

I cann't tell now, but it might have worked if I had restarted gnome/X
after initially setting up the mime-type in the gnome control center.

Jim