Traveling w/ hardware

Subject: Traveling w/ hardware
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 18:27:52 AKST

As some of you may know, I'm moving to California later this month
(the 23rd)... I'll be flying down, and shipping my stuff down later, but
I was thinking of carrying my hard-drive from my main box with me
along with some of the cards from that machine. Not trusting
anyone to NOT drop my bags exorbitant distances, I was hoping to
carry these on the plane in my carry-on. My question is this: I've
heard tales of 'The New Order' airport security, and wondered if I'm
just asking for endless hassles here.. you can't exactly prove that
a hard-drive works (unless you pack a power supply too I guess)..
anyone have some words from the wise here?

And on another tack, if I have to ship these in my checked
baggage or via FedHex, how do I make sure the heads on my HDs
are parked where they can't clatter against the platters when some
{"pimply 16 year old","badly engineering machine","disgruntled 50
year old"} drops my cardboard box 10 feet onto concrete?

James Gibson
twistedhammer@subdimension.com