Re: OT: case fans

Subject: Re: OT: case fans
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 10:54:15 AKST

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Bryan Medsker wrote:

> Also, if the power supply fan is blowing out of the case, doesn't
> it make sense for the secondary fan to be blowing into the case?
> Or is there a situation where it makes sense for both to be blowing
> out?

I can't think of any case I've ever seen where it would be a good thing to
have all fans trying to exhaust air out of the case. All this would do is
create a vacuum in the case, with little or no airflow. You generally want
intake and exhaust air to be equal in volume. For example, with the power
supply fan exhausting hot air out of the case, installing a secondary fan
at the lower front (for most cases anyhow) to pull air into the case would
be very helpful.

http://www.overclockers.com/ is a great resource for all things related to
cooling. Regardless of your opinion on overclocking, the site has a huge
amount of information on effective cooling methods that range from mundane
(adding a secondary case fan) to the truly wacky (evaporative cooling
tower).

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax