Re: RedHat 7.2 and USB

Subject: Re: RedHat 7.2 and USB
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 13:24:55 AKST

FeLoNious, send a missive to James Gibson about command line operation
of makeisofs, cdrecord, and such stuff as are called from the xcdroast
GUI. If you like to click the mouse, then of cource xcdroast does it
all.

Go bum a copy of the SuSE "Applications" book and read up on the
transcription of vinyl records or audio cassetts to CDs, and why
cdparanoia is so beneficial.

Mike, look at how much better scsi software controls hardware, and that
xcdroast wants to impose the scsi way-of-life on your ordinary CD
devices. It does make sense after you go through it a couple times.

Got time to drag a box to APU Friday evening? I can assure you that you
can get as many pointers as there are attendees, and one of them is
bound to be right :-)
You can look at each of our boxes for ideas, too.

And yes, I have been collecting old scsi controllers for all my boxes.
Fast scsi-II is plenty fast if you are mostly pushing CD readers or
burners. Anybody got some small (1-4gb) scsi HDs to move out? They make
the nicest substitute for /tmp iso-build locations. SCSI controller
buffers from scsi HD to scsi burner and doesn't get confused by heavy
usage on the rest of the system. Even old clunky burners do it nicely