Re: Systems for sale

Subject: Re: Systems for sale
arthur@corlissfamily.org
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 17:15:40 AKST

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Tom wrote:

> I'll second this one, especially with the HP C110. I have a C180, and in a
> *very rough* comparison (as in, "how fast do they crunch a SETI block?")
> the 180mhz HP of mine is roughly the same speed as a P3-700, while the
> nice shiny new 1.8G P4 at work feels maybe 2x-3x faster. That's it -
> they're quite impressive.

:-) Indeed. My old SGI R10k-175MHz was as fast as my Athlon-500MHz for many
tasks. Couple that with the fact that the SGI is also a full 64 bit
processor on a better architecture with less bottlenecks, and you can do some
serious number crunching.

The SGI I'm selling is a 64-bit MIPS-3 big-endian processor. I believe the HP
is a 48-bit addressing bi-endian beastie, which is an interesting design.
Supports 64 bit addressing using segmented addressing, though.

The PowerPC 604e is a 32-bit processor.

        --Arthur Corliss