Re: too many files open

Subject: Re: too many files open
From: larry collier (lcollier@ak.net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 15:07:14 AKST

I've found how to up the file max setting for redhat 7.x and 6.x from authoritative and/or multiple agreeing sources.
Unfortunately the system in question is running RH5.2 and none of the info we've found checks out. The system has
40 to 50 users on it and we need an athoritatiive (ie. trustable) source to say do the follwing.... If we do something and
their data corrupts we're toast. We want them to upgrade hardware and software to the latest but getting them to see
the need for that is like pushing spaghetti uphill.

BTW 7.2 defaults to file max of 8,192, 6.2 to 4096, and 5.2 to 1024. The search for this has lead us to a number of
interesting limits in Linux that we didn't know about. The defaults chosen by RedHat for some of the settings are
somewhat bizarre, all things considered.

Thanks for you response, though,

Larry