Re: too many files open

Subject: Re: too many files open
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 13:08:16 AKST

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Larry Collier wrote:

> I administer a system with 50 users and they occasionally get the message
> that too many files are open. How do I fix this or where should I be
> looking to read how to fix this?

It's been awhile since I've fiddled with this stuff, but I think what you
want is in /proc/sys/fs/. I think you want to change file-max (this is
set at 4096 on my system) and possibly some others.

Definitely do a google search on this, as it's been discussed in many
places. It shouldn't be tough to come up with better info than I've
provided.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax