Re: Sliding Screen in X

Subject: Re: Sliding Screen in X
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 03:28:44 AKST

On 7 Dec 2001, at 16:56, Julian Mason wrote:

> Here's the deal, folks.
>
> I just got Half-Life installed...WINE is cool.
>
> Anyway, I have run into a small problem.
>
> The window refuses to full-screen. Now, since it's centered, I can
> just ctrl-alt-+ and ctrl-alt- - my way to the correct size: this is
> good.
>
> What is bad, however, is the X feature that lets you slide around on
> the desktop by moving the mouse to one edge or another...so when I
> move in one direction for too long, X tries to scroll the screen
> sideways and WINE and HL go *urk* and it all stops working. How on
> earth do I disable that screen-size sliding?
>
> ~Mac~

First off, let me say grats on getting HL to work... the most I've ever
managed was starcraft and Fallout....

Secondly, the issues with the screen-size are not easily solved,
and are one of the current downsides to using X. the "sliding"
occurs because, while you are changing the display resolutions
with the ^alt+ stuff, the root window's resolution remains fixed.
AFAIK there is no way to turn the "sliding" off, and no way to
resize the root-window standards are being consider in the X
consortium, but I don't know that there is one yet, and it certainly
isn't widely supported..

my personal preference for running games under wine is to craft a
XF86Config file specifically for running games at a certain
resolution, then running ONLY the game on the X server (i.e. no
windowmanager, etc...) depending on how well behaved your video
hardware is, you should be able to fire up a clean XF86 server, even
while you still have another one running.. just on another VT... a
script to run your game at that point would look like this:

#!/bin/bash
#Start /usr/local/bin/halflaunch
X :1 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.HL &
DISPLAY=:1;
export DISPLAY;
#should test for the X.1 lockfile here, but I'm lazy
#so we just sleep for a bit...
sleep 15;
cd /path/to/winerooot;
wine C:\halflife\hl.exe &
#End /usr/local/bin/halflaunch

There's also an option for X which I'm to tired to look up right now
which tells the server to close after the first client to connect to it
dies... you would want to consider that one too... and you may
need to explicitly point it o a new VT.. not sure.. a X --help should
do you wonders... and, I'm not sure what permissions you would
need to do the above as a user.. I'll leave that as a puzzle for you...

Signing off to get some sleep,
James Gibson