Re: Here is how I got started with Ximian

Subject: Re: Here is how I got started with Ximian
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 14:57:38 AKST

> > Tom wrote:
> > I finally decided to give this a try after reading the raves :-) The
> > 'apt-get install' method didn't work, but the direct install via lynx
> > worked like a charm. The Evolution client even works with the state LDAP
> > server, which is quite the surprise...
> >
> > My only source of irritation so far has been the flickering crap when
> > minimizing a window. Searching the Ximian help database doesn't seem to
> > mention it - anyone know how to turn this off?
>
> On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 14:21, Greg Madden wrote:
> Tom I am not sure what you mean by 'flickering..' my Evoution 1.0 seems
> to behave as other apps do, aka normal? I am using Evolution from
> Debian unstable on a Woody box. The depends for Evolution 1.0 just got
> uploaded. I don't have any expierience with the Ximian debs for Potato.

When I minimize an app it minimizes to the lower-right corner of the
screen. What I get is a set of a half-dozen or a dozen window redraws,
each getting smaller and leading towards that corner. Completely pauses
everything while it does it, too. Doesn't matter if it's a fullscreen
window or not, it still does it. I've turned off everything I can see in
the preferences that could affect the screen, but nothing changes...

It's almost like it's trying to be 3d-accelerated and the video card
can't handle it...