Re: international dial-up

Subject: Re: international dial-up
From: Julien Franiatte (julienf@cam.nist.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 05:13:15 AKST

My two cents (euros not dollars !)
The French and European phone system is slightly different from the one we
encounter in the US and CA, in the way that there is no flat rate for
local call anymore. Someone who dials in pays per minute, this is why
broad band is so successful. Therefore, there are still a few free
internet provider of quality, they get their money from the phone company
that redistributes part of the fee of the phone call.
If someone wants to connect in France for example, he/she can subscribe
for *FREE*, no hidden lines or fine writing, for internet access, but will
be charged per minute by the phone company. We can easily create one of
those account for the aklug list members that will travel over there.

The proud Frenchman ;-)

Julien