Successful Configuration of Qube3 via Dialup

Subject: Successful Configuration of Qube3 via Dialup
From: Bill Updegraff (wupdegraff@cvinternet.net)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 10:02:43 AKST

Folks,

This morning, I was able to successfully configure our SUN Cobalt Qube3
server for dialup service into ACS Internet after struggling with the
problem for three months. Web pages now load at the speed they should.

I want to thank the members of this list for their help with special thanks
to Dee, Lee, and David(Minion)!! I also want to thank David Syzdek of ACS
Internet. Without your help I would not have resolved this problem.

In a nutshell, the problem was a packet size mismatch between the Qube3 and
the settings on ACS Internet Radius server. Alaska Bible College has been
operating for four years using an Interjet Internet Applicance leased from
ACS Internet. The Radius settings for the Interjet have MTU set for 1500.
The Qube3 has MTU (as well as MRU) set to 576 by default. (SUN insists that
1500 is too high for dialup.)
I had tried changing the values on the Qube3 to 1500 about a week ago and
the change did not seem to resolve the problem. However, I made the
change again this morning and the Qube3 performs admirably. It is about 15%
faster than the Interjet, primarily because the modem is faster.

In case any of your need to install a Qube3 in a dialup configuration(highly
unlikely because your are most likely to use the second Ethernet port to
connect via DSL or a cable modem), here are the necessary modifications to
the Qube3.

Modifications necessary to make the Sun Microsystems Cobalt Qube3 work with
ACS Internet.

The file ifcfg-ppp0 in the directory,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, should be modified as below. Do not try to
modify anything above the line,
"#Cobalt End -- Do not remove this line. Add any customizations below."
If you do, the changes will not take effect. SUN apparently regenerates the
upper part of the file each time the Qube3 connects.

Here is the full file, ifcfg-ppp0, after I added the last 2 lines.

#Cobalt Begin -- Do not remove this line.
PERSIST=yes
DEVICE=ppp0
ONBOOT=yes
LINESPEED=115200
DEBUG=yes
ESCAPECHARS=yes
DEFROUTE=yes
REMIP=0.0.0.0
COMPRESSION="noaccomp nobsdcomp noccp nodeflate nopcomp nopredictor1 novj
novjc$
PPPOPTIONS="$PPPOPTIONS $COMPRESSION noauth"
USERCTL=no
IPADDR=0.0.0.0
MTU=576
MRU=576
MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyS0
PAPNAME=abcdial

#Cobalt End -- Do not remove this line. Add any customizations below.
MTU=1500
MRU=1500

Bill Updegraff
Alaska Bible College