Installing Red Hat 7.2 on HP xh555 Laptop

Subject: Installing Red Hat 7.2 on HP xh555 Laptop
From: Andy Hall (andyhall@gci.net)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 12:07:39 AKST

 I installed RH7.2 on my HP xh555 laptop. The installation went all the
 way through, no problems.
 For the x configuration it detected the correct video
 chipset, I told it what mode, went all the way through.

 When I try and run gnome the screen goes black, comes back and
 gives error 'no valid modes found'.
 I went to Linxu on Laptops, found info from someone who installed on
 same type/model as mine. I made the same changes to XF86Config-4.
 When I try and start startx I still get an error.
 I have check his config and mine several times.

 I find this confusing since he has the same laptop and same
 version of RH.

 Anybody have any ideas on what to do next?

 Thanks, Andy