Re: how to figure out file sizes

Subject: Re: how to figure out file sizes
From: Bob Crosby (rcrosby@alaska.net)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 17:21:01 AKST

> root@host:~$ for DIR in `ls /|grep -v home|grep -v usr |grep -v var|grep
> -v boot| grep -v proc|grep -v dev`;do du -ks `find /$DIR`;done|sort

I couldn't get that to work, David. Is it something you enter verbatim on a
command line? (Linux newbie question...)

re >Try running this from the root directory: du -hx --max-depth=1

Worked great. Thanks for the help, Anthony. I found the culprit -- turns
out I had somehow inadvertently created a directory called /cdrom, and
copied about 200M of content from a cdrom into it. Duhh.

Thanks for the help, y'all...