Re: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...

Subject: Re: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 09:09:27 AKST

On Thursday 29 November 2001 12:34 am, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> Yes, I've noticed that it has a bertter reputation than the harware
> implementations of IDE raid. The possible exception is the setup that
> 'civilme' put up a link too. It looks interesting enough that I might
> have to try it out. I hadn't heard anything good about the Promise and
> mobo implementations even before civilme joined the list.
>
> Jim
>
> On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 14:29, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > I understand that, but what I meant was that Linux's software RAID (which
> > makes no bones about being software RAID, obviously) is actually a better
> > RAID system than the "hardware" RAID cards which just use drivers to
> > implement the RAID.
> >
> > j----- k-----
> >
> > On Monday 26 November 2001 02:08, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> > > I believe that 'Linux raid' you're refering to IS software raid.
> > >
> > > Jim

> > --
> > Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
> > Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
> > isd@asuaf.org, 907-474-7601

Actually there is an article on how to adapt the closed-source RH driver for
Promise on the Duke or URL. Of course, my philosophy requires me to eschew
such solutions (Yes, I have no NVidia).

There is also the Promise Supertrak whic also has closed source drivers even
though the drivers do nothing but squirt microcode at an i960 CPU. It is to
a large extent a hardware RAID.

Civileme