RE: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...

Subject: RE: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 01:51:51 AKST

I am running an Abit bp6 with no real problems using the udma 66
controllers on it and last I knew Promise was also using highpoint,
hpt370 (I think). It is kind of tricky finding the i/o ports, but I used
a procedure outlined for the promise ata 100 card.

The main difficulties I have had were that the udma 66 linux drivers
used in the backports for the 2.2.x kernel had problems with certian
brands of drives, particularly IBM. I have also had problems with a
Western Digital.

Both drives work fine on hpt 366's on abit mobos using the 2.4.2 or
above kernels and both have problems with 2.2.x kernels. Fugitsu drives
seemed good however, was even playing with software raid.

I first found out about this problem when I was reading the release info
for the 2.4 kernel. Drove me NUTS when I was first getting into linux as
my fist linux mobo was the abit bp6 w/ IBM 20g deskstar drives.

Jim