Dialout Frustration using Linux Network Appliance

Subject: Dialout Frustration using Linux Network Appliance
From: Bill Updegraff (wupdegraff@cvinternet.net)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 08:50:02 AKST

Folks,

I am not a Linux person but am in a situation where I am trying to bring up
A Sun Cobalt Qube 3 Internet Appliance running Linux to connect our small
network(35 Windows 98 workstations, 2 NT 4.0 servers) via a dialup modem to
ACS Internet in Glennallen. We currently have no DSL or cable modem service
available in this area but hope to have it in the first quarter of next
year.

Our existing gateway in an Interjet leased from ACS Internet. The Interjet
has functioned admirably for four years but is a dead product and ACS
Internet is gradually removing all Interjets from service. Hence we must
replace it. The Qube3 seemed a good choice and has had decent reviews.

I have been struggling for about three months to get web browsers to work
adequately from client workstations via the Qube3 connection to ACS
Internet. Prior to last Saturday, it would take www.google.com about 2
minutes to load. The main page of the New York times would take from 4 to
six minutes. Until I can get adequate performance from the Qube3, I am
forced to continue using the Interjet.

Last Saturday morning, I worked with David Syzdek from ACS Interjet who was
very helpful. Our connection to ACS Internet involves both Internet content
filtering and a static IP address. ACS Internet authenticates users using
Radius on a SUN Solaris server(I don't know the model). David turned off
the filtering and the use of a static IP address and reintroduced both as we
worked together. The real hang up seemed to be associated with the use of a
static IP address. David changed a parameter(port-limit I believe) on the
Radius server and our web browsers started working about half the speed that
we could achieve using the Interjet under the same circumstances. I would
like to get the Qube 3 to perform at the same level as the Interjet or
better. Prior to our experimentation on Saturday morning, browsers using
the Qube 3 loaded pages at about 2% to 3% of the speed achievable over the
same dialup link with the Interjet.

There is no reason why we should not achieve faster browser downloads with
the new Qube3. The modem is faster(56K vs. 28.8K), the processor is far
faster, and the main memory is 128 MB vs. 16 MB.

If you have any thoughts of how to resolve this problem, I would greatly
appreciate hearing from you.

FYI, Alaska Bible College has about 47 students and a faculty/staff of 17.
Virtually all of our staff and faculty are supported by churches and
individuals or are unpaid volunteers. In my particular case, I unretired to
serve as a full-time volunteer for two years. My tenure is due to end
sometime next summer. We need to find a full-time replacement volunteer to
handle my functions.

-Bill

Bill Updegraff
Alaska Bible College