Re: scsi tape drive.

Subject: Re: scsi tape drive.
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 15:37:26 AKST

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> I don't know what is wrong with this, so I figured I'd ask before I
> spend some more time on it.
>
> I got a machine with a 2.4.10 kernel on it and I am trying access the
> scsi tape drive, but I get the error "/dev/st0: Device not configured".
>
> Anyway, here is some information about the setup:
>
> dmesg:
>
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0c.0
> Configuring GDT-PCI HA at 0/12 IRQ 11
> scsi0 : GDT6518RD
> Vendor: ICP Model: Host Drive #00 Rev:
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Vendor: ARCHIVE Model: Python 04106-XXX Rev: 735B
> Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: CD-ROM XM-6401TA Rev: 1001
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

You might try putting the tape and cdrom drives on their own controller.
When I was doing research on how to install Red Hat on a raid 5 array
using an ICP Vortex controller, I saw something about the install
failing when the cdrom was connected to the ICP Vortex card. I think this
was somewhere in the Red Hat 7.1 install docs.

Just out of curiousity, what distro is your system running, and were you
able to install directly onto the array, or did you have to do some
gymnastics to get the system onto the array?

MIke

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax