Re: Hosed ReiserFS recovery?

Subject: Re: Hosed ReiserFS recovery?
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 23:15:20 AKST

On Tuesday 06 November 2001 20:37, twistedhammer wrote:
> I had a ReiserFS partition fry on me. My system crashed, and
> after replaying the log, the driver refuses to detect it as
> a Reiser partition.. Booting into my other copy of Linux,
> reiserfsck has not noticable effect either.. I know there
> are some manual ways of recovering stuff from ext2 FS's,
> anybody know if there's a way to do similar miracles with
> ReiserFS?
>
> Here's hopin'
>
> James Gibson

'reiserfsck --check /dev/hda5'
then do....
'reiserfsck --rebuild-sb /dev/hda5'
'reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/hda5'

Mandrake 8.0 and a similar version of SuSE had a very very buggy kernel 2.4
implemenntation of Reiser complete with kernel oopses on notail mounts and
lost files on system crashes, sometimes very subtle, like libraries that
would show up under

'ldconfig -v'

but would hide from a ./config.

Recovery chances are not good if you have that particular version, but that
method is the way to do it.

Civileme
Mandrakesoft INC
QA Team