tracking down an workstation

Subject: tracking down an workstation
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 08:28:17 AKST

I have a entry in my dhcp leases file that points to an IP address but has
no hostname. I want to try and figure out which device this is. Because of
the dhcp leases file I know the IP address and the MAC address.

What is the best way to go about doing this?

I can ping the device and it responds.
I tried to telnet to it, but it refused the connection.
traceroute produces nothing useful.
I have used tcpdump, but because of switches, there is no traffic.

I supposed I could set a machine to have the same IP address and see what
breaks.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Mike