Re: Sendmail, postfix, what???

Subject: Re: Sendmail, postfix, what???
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 02:30:48 AKDT

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Chris Crewdson wrote:

> Ok, here's the deal. I'm locally hosting a website on a linux box running
> mandrake 8.0. The box is also the router to my network. I have a domain
> name, and an MX record at the DNS so all mail should come here. Now I need
> to figure out how to get that mail. :) I'm sure SOMEONE has done this
> before. Thanks :)
*laughs* repeatedly... I haven't actually gotten around to postfix yet,
although it seems to be highly suggested 'round these parts. I cut my
teeth on Exim, a rather secure and fairly easy to setup way to go, one
single configuration file. Lately though, I've been using sendmail.. it
may be hard to configure WELL, but it's not actually that hard to
configure... just do your configurations in an xterm and pop open a copy
of mozilla pointed to the on-line docs.. additionally, most 'modern' (read
'graphically oriented') distributions have a fairly easy to use
configuration tool.. go find out what it is *grins*

oh, and if you do any by-hand sendmail configuration, repeat after me:
".m? files good, .cf files bad!!"

Before tackling any of these you need to know how the whole system is
supposed to work though, and exactly how you want it to work.. So go check
out some of the How-Tos...

James Gibson

--
Everything in Unix is either written in C
or has to try hard to pretend it is