Re: [lug] sendmail, postfix, what???

Subject: Re: [lug] sendmail, postfix, what???
From: Joshua J. Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 02:09:42 AKDT

Yes, we've done this before. We admin linux boxes too. And we'd be happy to
help. But we *would* like to know you've done your homework. Have you read
the pertinant documentation? Have you installed sendmail or postfix yet?
Have you looked at the configuration files? If Mandrake has done it's job,
it should be a matter of simply installing the RPM's and starting the server.

As someone who's "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt," I did use
mailing lists quite a bit. But quite often only after reading a LOT of
documentation first, and still not being able to figure it out on my own.

So, please read the docs for whichever mail server you are going to use (for
the volume of mail you are going to handle, either should be fine). Try to
set it up. And then let us know exactly what's not working.

Oh, and you should have a POP3 server already installed. Check your xinetd
config files. If not, just look for the POP3 RPM and install it.

By the way, I still want to come over and help you config your box, as soon
as I get a free Friday or Saturday night.

Hope that helps.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks