Re: Database conversion

Subject: Re: Database conversion
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 20:57:04 AKDT

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Greg Jetter wrote:

> From what I understand access databases are comma seperated data . Sooooo
> you should be able to dump the data base to a file and then use a web
> scripting language such as PHP or PERL to manipulate the data.. I even
> beleave both the above scripting languages have modules or functions to
> handle access files directly..

Comma delimited is not the native form of an Access database, but it can
export to a comma delimited text file. You can also export in tab
delimited and other formats as well. The resulting file can be imported
into mysql using mysqlimport.

If you're handy with PHP or Perl it shouldn't be tough to do a web
interface. If not it may just be easier to hire someone to it, assuming
that's an option.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax