[aklug] OT: unbranded pfSense?

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at azariah.com
Mon Jan 8 15:41:24 AKST 2018

On Monday, October 16, 2017 3:03:47 PM AKST Christopher Howard wrote:
> Has anybody heard if there is anybody maintaining an unbranded
> repository or builds for pfSense? Kind of like Iceweasel was for
> Firefox? I found out pfSense CE is under the apache license, and they
> won't allow commercial redistribution of preloaded routers if you keep
> the pfSense branding on the product.
>
> Maybe I just need to create my own pfsense interface theme...? Is that
> difficult?
>
> Trying to be careful not to violate the trademark terms, I went on the
> pfSense forum, explained what I was doing, and asked if there was an
> easy way to remove the logo. The next business day, my post was
> deleted, and my IP address was permanently banned.

So, you want to do something like CentOS was to Redhat?  That should be pretty
doable. Probably got to find all the logo locations, and just script a way to
remove them.  Might have to do some sed work to to remove reference to pfSense
that aren't in the licenses.

That said, take a look at this. Maybe it's what you're looking for:

https://opnsense.org/

Joshua J. Kugler - Fairbanks, Alaska
Azariah Enterprises - Programming and Website Design
joshua at azariah.com - Jabber: pedahzur at gmail.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A