[aklug] how to get Linux within Windows environment

Mark Moon marktmoon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 16:35:58 AKST 2018

Hi All,

I'm a new employee of the State of Alaska, in a group within Department
of Revenue that does investment stuff.  I major tool for what I do is R
combined with MySQL, which I've used in mostly Debian Linux for over 10
years.  I need to figure out a way to get a Linux environment on which I
can run R but in a way that should be minimally threatening to the IT
folks, who are Windows enthusiasts.  Any thoughts on ways of
accommodating a Linux user like me within a group that almost
exclusively uses Windows?

If they won't let me have a dedicated Linux box on-site, I'm not sure
how threatening things like a VM or Windows subsystem for Linux would be
to the IT staff?  Any thoughts on approaches which might represent
minimal risk from their perspective but still allow for me to run R and
MySQL within a Linux environment?  I'd like to get some sense for what
may be more vs. less risky approaches, when trying to refute their
reflexive, no, that's not what we do around here.

Many thanks!  Feeling like a blind and deaf being at the moment....

Mark

---------
Mark Moon
805.657.9504