[aklug] Modifying a keymap

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Thu Jun 22 11:42:57 AKDT 2017

* Mike <alaskabarsalou at gmail.com> [170621 21:14]:

> I've been using an old laptop that has lost it's slash(/) key and
> additionally the question(?) key.
>
> This makes for hard times when using vim and also it reduces my ability to
> ask questions.
>
> What I have been doing is copying and pasting the slash and the question
> from wherever I could find it.
>
> I finally got tired of it and modified my keymap.
>
> That led me here:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/422650/map-altgr-a-z-and-shift-altgr-a-z-to-greek-letter/423245#423245
>
> Which then led me here:
>
> madduck.net/docs/extending-xkb/
>
> I read a lot and decided that I just wanted to get to solving the problem so
> I choose the following method.
>
> xkbcomp $DISPLAY xkb.dump
> edit xkb.dump with your favorite editor
> xkbcomp xkb.dump $DISPLAY

   Nice example.

   I've heard about xkbcomp but never used it. xmodmap has always
   worked for me.

   Does xkbcomp work for setting up modifiers?
   Example: I've set my control keys as hyper. (control is set to
   capslock and capslock is set to keycode 169).

   It seems that if you set up a permanent xkb.dump and
   used
   xkbcomp $DISPLAY xkb.dump
   as a line in a startup script, that would take care of
   persistance.

> I haven't restarted, so I don't think it will be persistent unless I
> followed more of the information.
>
> But for now, I have a key map that I can use and now I can ask questions.
>
> That's good, right?

Tim