[aklug] Re: Radio antenna help

From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2016 - 11:45:21 AKST

HT would be Ham speak for handie-talkie A.K.A walkee-talkee.

Amateur Radio HTs used to commonly come with BNC type connectors for the
attached antenna, but with more compact modern ones SMA is most common.

HT antennas are also referred to as "rubber dummy loads", as while they
can be fairly wide-band they are not exactly high performance.

Alot of the dongle types use one form or another of micro-connector that
you will need to adapt over to a SMA, BNC or N type to connect to a
external feedline for a better antenna.

Many of the brick types come with a female SMA already.

Note, due to strange FCC regs for ISM type devices there are both the
"real" types and RP (reverse polorization) types.

Alot of 802.11 gear for example comes with a TNC-RP or SMA-RP connector
(where they swap the guts of the connector so the female body has the
male pin).

Need to be aware of the connector type your SDR uses and if it is the
-RP version (most re-tasked gear from the WiFi side of things uses -RP
types).

Adapter pigtail to BNC or N female. As in a 6 inch piece of small coax
with a SMA male on one end and a N female on the other.

For wideband fixed use, look at discones. Not high performance but
potentially very wideband. You have get ~ 36 inch tall discones that
will receive reasonable well from about 100Mhz to 2 - 3 Ghz. A 60-70
inch tall with tuned stinger may cover about 50Mhz to 1300Mhz.

Cost more, but there are models that support transmit in the 50 - 200
watt range (model dependant) over a subset of their range.

A discone mounted say 6ft above the roof with decent feedline running
into house is a very common wideband scanner antenna.