[aklug] Debian Jessie on PowerBook G4: Caps Lock

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@qlfiles.net>
Date: Fri Dec 02 2016 - 22:08:41 AKST

Hi list. Somebody gave me a PowerBook G4, which I was eager to put to
good use, because the battery actually holds a charge (I have a growing
collection of ancient laptops that DON'T). I installed Debian Jessie
8.6.0 PowerPC onto to it, running the MATE desktop, which on the whole
seems to be working fine. However, I've run into one really annoying
snag: I want to change CAPS LOCK key to CTRL, but no matter how I adjust
the MATE keyboard layout options, it doesn't work. I can get it to stop
acting as the CAPS LOCK key, but not to do CTRL. This is a super pain
for me because I'm constantly using CTRL-f, CTRL-b, etc. in Emacs and
the bash command-line, etc. Does anybody know anything special about
PowerBooks or Macs generally that might help me figure this out?

--
https://qlfiles.net