[aklug] Re: Long Distance WIFI

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2016 - 16:26:10 AKDT

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Jim <jim.wadell@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking at the Teams Electronic co A0254 from newegg, which is
> supposed to be good to 500 meters or more, and is noted to support Linux.

That antenna looks like it will do what you want from the camera end — it
is probably a 45° beam width.

I'm assuming the cameras are a good deal closer to the target than the
bench… how are you powering them? wired?

There are now some seriously better outdoor optics+digitizers to be had for
less $. If I were doing this, I'd go for Chinese security cams with 10x
zoom and use the pi to provide a simple web interface. Put one on each
lane… at least for 100 yard, that is, not 300 yard. BYO iPad/tablet. Get
something that outputs standard H.264/ONVIF and you're good to go, no wonky
plugins required.

There a lot of ways to slice this particular problem.

If you have to put the cameras remote beyond the 100 meter limitation of
ethernet/PoE, then I'd do a point to point link (with units similar to what
you proposed), and put a dual-band access point at the bench end. Set them
to non-overlapping channels.

--
Jeremy Austin
(907) 895-2311