[aklug] Re: greetings

From: Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com>
Date: Mon Jul 25 2016 - 18:28:43 AKDT

Isn't an Arch user basically just a Gentoo user in diapers? ;)

Funny forum post of an Arch wiki admin trying to convince someone to use
Debian on his production servers:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1353010

I use Debian stable on all my systems at present, though I really want
to try NixOS on my next install.

On 07/25/2016 04:55 PM, Shasten Marshall wrote:
> Well, I do some heavy lifting with my computer such as video editing,
> video rendering, and ubuntu just can't handle it, even with their
> so-called low-latency kernel. I had 14.04 LTS, and I could keep it
> going for a month or so, but it would always bite the dust. I will say
> this, I used Ubuntu for the first 4 years, and I liked it, but the day I
> installed Arch for the first time I was hooked. Everything is so easy
> on it. When I have to do a reinstall (every 4-5 months), I can
> reinstall my applications and system in about 1 1/2 hours compared to
> 3-4 hours in Ubuntu because I am hunting down PPA's, then adding them,
> and then the sudo apt install. In Arch, it is all in the AUR, no
> hassle, and it works so much better. Everyone I know that has tried
> Arch usually sticks with it. Can't say the same for Ubuntu!!
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com
> <mailto:tim@akwebsoft.com>> wrote:
>
> * Shasten Marshall <shastenm@gmail.com <mailto:shastenm@gmail.com>>
> [160725 13:11]:
> > Yeah, if you wanna hunt down PPA's all day to get your system up and
> > running, be my guest. Besides, Ubuntu is really screwed up how it is
> > wrapped around the systemd concept, and it tends to crash almost daily.
> I'm sorry that you had such problems. I never had ubuntu 14.04 or
> 12.04 crash on my Mac Mini install. Nor have I seen anything like
> that on our netbooks or my wife's desktop tower.
>
> Older versions did crash, on rare occasions. Of course I used
> Slack before ubuntu. And Redhat back in the 90's.
>
> And, I always stick with LTS...
>
> > Especially 16.04, smh, I can't believe they released that Alpha version of
> > an OS. With Arch, everything is in the AUR, and it is 100 times as stable
> > as Ubuntu. With Debian is good, but their packages are outdated, and so
> > you aren't getting the latest of anything, and that non-free garbage got
> > old fast. I might get to know it someday just to say that I know it, but I
> > don't much like it either.
> I'd recommend you stick with what works for you, then, and don't
> get too worked up about what doesn't work for you. Such drama can
> give one high blood pressure.
>
> Other folks have had different experiences.
>
> --
> Tim
> http://www.akwebsoft.com, http://www.tj49.com

https://qlfiles.net
To protect my privacy, please use PGP encryption. It's free and easy
to use! My public key ID is 0x340EA95A (pgp.mit.edu).