[aklug] Re: Content filtering for smaller sites?

From: Craig M. <aklug@mollerstuen.com>
Date: Fri Feb 12 2016 - 21:07:56 AKST

Christopher,

Forgive me if I chuckle... [Full disclosure, I work(ed) for the GCI group
that provides service for (schools and) libraries.]

Maybe you can "sell Sat Internet to libraries out in the villages, for a
lot cheaper than they are getting it from GCI or whomever." because "the
libraries are required to have content filtering as part of some Federal
funding or regulation requirement." and if this

"* They need to be able to switch content filtering off and on for
particular computers, on demand... some federal requirement.
* After installation, we don't want to be point-of-contact for any of their
content filtering questions or administration... so having a large company
behind the product would be a plus."

were cheap and trivial lots more providers would be offering.

:-)

That said... I really like my Skydog (www.skydog.com) router. It would
probably be a great solution for your customers... Sadly it has been
acquired by Comcast. :-/

The Skydog router has configuration from the cloud, allows multiple managed
LANs on the inside, filtering and prioritization on a per LAN, per device,
and per group of devices basis. It has time of day limits, configurable
filtering and usage reporting (in the cloud).

It has a tremendous amount of enterprise type management and reporting with
a fairly simple cloud interface.

Sigh.

If anyone knows of a replacement... (my service runs out in less than a
year.)

Cisco owns Meraki too.

Cheers!
-Craig-