[aklug] Re: Remote Assistance Software?

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Mon Feb 01 2016 - 21:54:05 AKST

Oh, I believe what you are referring to is called the "Holy Grail" :-)

splashtop for business is like $60/yr and would probably suit you fine.
I have found aeroadmin.com to work in a pinch, it is a bit slow though.
UltraVNC Single Click and PCHelpWare still exist, that may work for you.
join.me is pretty simple to use.
I know this probably won't work... but man I really want to try this
project out sometime. http://guac-dev.org/

You could also use a diy scripted solution like plink or
putty-tunnel-manager to reverse ssh tunnels.
https://code.google.com/archive/p/putty-tunnel-manager/
https://toic.org/blog/2009/reverse-ssh-port-forwarding/

Be sure to update us with what you end up using!

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 4:07 PM Christopher Howard <christopher@alaskasi.com>
wrote:

> Hi, AKLUG. I was wondering if there was any good remote assistance
> software that is FOSS friendly (or, more generally, cross platform).
> Basically, we have lots of these support situations were we don't have a
> permanent presence on the customers private network, but we want to
> support some network device that is not exposed to the Internet. So, I
> was interested in something like...
>
> (1) Windows remote assistance, but without requiring me to work from a
> Windows PC. Team viewer looks promising, but the commercial license
> seems rather expensive ($800/yr for single user).
> (2) Some program that would create some kind of temporary tunnel into
> the customer's network. (I don't really need to control their desktop,
> just connect to the device). I.e., without any configuration work on the
> customer's side, other than installing/activating the program.
>
> --
> Christopher Howard, Computer Assistant
> Alaska Satellite Internet
> 3239 La Ree Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709
> 907-451-0088 or 888-396-5623 (toll free)
> fax: 888-260-3584
> mailto:christopher@alaskasi.com
> http://www.alaskasatelliteinternet.com
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/christopher-howard-9429ab52