[aklug] Re: Need a little nudge in the right direction...

From: Peter Barclay PCNI <admin@pcni.us>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 11:27:24 AKST

Azure ad does that. Or amazon workspaces.

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM -0800, "JP" <jp@jptechnical.com<mailto:jp@jptechnical.com>> wrote:

Forgive me if I make/made assumptions or infer anything from what you have (helpfully) commented Damien.

I am a predominantly windows shop. The difference in our experiences might be in how our servers are used. I maintain networks for small business clients, most around 10 workstations and one server, no SQL servers and only simple file sharing. I am very selective with my clientele and don't like to spread myself thin, I also don't like employees :)

In those cases there's no redundancy for servers, it isn't practical and the downtime of a single server is acceptable. When you have 50 locations with a single server, of varying OS versions, all needing AV, patches and regular (monthly) reboots that is what I refer to as babysitting. That is why I offload file storage to NAS devices wherever possible, reducing the load on the windows server, not for the servers sake but for my piece of mind, because I know if a NAS box dies on me it is a simple matter of pulling the drive and copying the files. I realize you can do this with a windows server, but there are a lot more moving parts to contend with. Every office I maintain has at least 2 *nix devices, NAS and firewall. No location has more that 500 GB of real data either, we leverage the cloud heavily. And a new $500 NAS box every year or three means the storage backbone is never more than 3 years old. Meanwhile the domain controller silently chugs along doing the sole job it is required, authenticating users.

If I could figure out how to authenticate local machines to a cloud based directory service, considering Alaska's sometimes flaky data, I would replace every single directory server.