[aklug] Re: Need a little nudge in the right direction...

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 11:11:19 AKST

Forgive me if I make/made assumptions or infer anything from what you have
(helpfully) commented Damien.

I am a predominantly windows shop. The difference in our experiences might
be in how our servers are used. I maintain networks for small business
clients, most around 10 workstations and one server, no SQL servers and
only simple file sharing. I am very selective with my clientele and don't
like to spread myself thin, I also don't like employees :)

In those cases there's no redundancy for servers, it isn't practical and
the downtime of a single server is acceptable. When you have 50 locations
with a single server, of varying OS versions, all needing AV, patches and
regular (monthly) reboots that is what I refer to as babysitting. That is
why I offload file storage to NAS devices wherever possible, reducing the
load on the windows server, not for the servers sake but for my piece of
mind, because I know if a NAS box dies on me it is a simple matter of
pulling the drive and copying the files. I realize you can do this with a
windows server, but there are a lot more moving parts to contend with.
Every office I maintain has at least 2 *nix devices, NAS and firewall. No
location has more that 500 GB of real data either, we leverage the cloud
heavily. And a new $500 NAS box every year or three means the storage
backbone is never more than 3 years old. Meanwhile the domain controller
silently chugs along doing the sole job it is required, authenticating
users.

If I could figure out how to authenticate local machines to a cloud based
directory service, considering Alaska's sometimes flaky data, I would
replace every single directory server.