[aklug] Re: Document Management

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org>
Date: Sat Nov 14 2015 - 12:53:13 AKST

* Darren Coolidge <dcoolidge@gmail.com> [2015-11-04 15:22 -0500]:
>I was wondering if any of you guys (or gals) use document management
>software. My only knowledge is of shareware and various versioning
>software (source safe, svn, git). I was researching online and came
>across filehold but it is pretty costly at $3500 for a 5 user license.
>I don't want something cloud based because our internet options are
>somewhat limited out here in the bush.
>
>What were trying to accomplish is of course paperless. That means
>scanning a bunch of documents and attaching searchable metadata to
>each document. We are primarily a windows office but I have a few
>ubuntu servers doing various tasks.

I have been exploring archival data-set storage and came across
git-annex [1] while researching. It has many options for metadata
storage and, while it may not be perfect for your use case, it seems to
be very flexible. Two interesting and useful features stood out when I
was looking at the software.

[1]: https://git-annex.branchable.com

1. One can set the number of copies of a given document that must exist
    in all the connected repositories. So if there are particular files
    that must not be lost, you can set the number of full copies that
    must exist in all connected repositories to a number greater than
    one and know that it will exist in more than one place at any given
    time.

2. The ability to set an external USB drive as a full backup
    repository. When the USB drive is detected it will automatically be
    updated with any changes that have happened since it was last
    plugged in. This could work similar to Time Machine on the Mac,
    especially if you make your "Documents" (or whatever it's named)
    folder a git-annex repository.

Anyway, that's the one that popped into my head when reading your post.
Hope it helps!

Regards,
  -dave

--