[aklug] Re: Document Management

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2015 - 22:03:49 AKST

This might sound like a strange way to handle this, but SVN and Tortoise
SVN might do what you want. Back in the day, before Dropbox and the like,
the file sync options were leaving much to be desired. I was volunteering
for Jehovah's Witnesses in managing building projects in the Washington
area in the IT department, assisting in managing the IT infrastructure.
There I became the SVN (subversion) admin and started managing the servers
hosting all the repos for the software managing the construction. In time,
I saw how simple it really was, and that making it work was about training
and not tech, update your repo before and after doing your work... that
simple.

So, I adopted this in my secular business. I started building and
installing semi-public svn servers for clients to provide collaboration
abilities we now enjoy with Dropbox, jungledisk, etc. The software is free,
the technology is as stable as it comes, and it works over VERY slow link
rates with nary a corrupted file. The windows client was called
TortoiseSVN, and was all a left click right click affair to manage your
repo. You had a folder you worked from, you could on demand refresh your
local store and on demand commit your changes. Collisions were very rare,
considering the variety of unstructured files in use by constructions
companies, engineers, lawyers and realtors I was working with at the time.

You might find a great solution, but don't discount the simplicity and
dependability of svn or it's successor git. Now go forth and commit ;-) And
come back with what you end up with please!

     ___ _______
    | | |
    | | _ |
    | | |_| |