[aklug] Re: Netbook/Laptop brand

From: Jacob Gemmell <evilbob333@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2015 - 11:55:05 AKST

If its just something to type on, do email and web browsing, I would go
with a chrome book. I have had a 13 inch samsung chromebook 2 for about a
year and a half now, and still use it with chromeOS every day. It's wight
and dimensions are comparable to at macbook air. The battery will last
about 6-8 hours, and any issues I can't figure out are usually resolved by
a factory reset. Most everything is kept in the cloud, and you can get
some apps to work locally when you don't have wifi access. You can get
them for under $200, but for what its worth, I spent the extra money and
got one with a 1080p screen and 4 GB of RAM. I would definitely get the 4
GB of RAM. If you are planning on installing Linux on it, I would get one
with a intel processor. The Exynos processor in mine just didn't play well
with some of the stuff I tired to do with Crouton.

The only other issue I have had was issues with VPN. I have gotten it to
work with some providers, but my work VPN just didn't have the right
settings on the server side. Which was a shame, be cause the RDP client
works and it would have been great for remote access.