[aklug] Re: Anyone have a spare mechanical/IBM keyboard?

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org>
Date: Wed Aug 26 2015 - 16:47:50 AKDT

* Lee Brumbaugh <lbrumbaugh@gmail.com> [2015-08-21 15:00 -0400]:
>Yes, that is indeed the one I'm using.. for 10+ years now. They really
>are great keyboards. I've had multiple people here email me stating to
>just throw it into the dishwasher to clean it, and I'm probably going
>to try cleaning it but first take it apart and clean all the pieces.
>Thanks for the Ebay info though, that might be what will happen if I
>butcher the cleaning process.

They are! I've used a dishwasher to clean mine (long in the past), but
remember no soap, cold cycle, and no heated drying. :) Those are the
lessons I've learned from past experiences with dishwashers. Using
rubbing alcohol, a toothbrush, and canned air has worked for me for
years (after I gave up the dishwasher).

>I was also looking at the Sculpt for new ergos and that's curious about
>key placement; I didn't know that was a problem. Do you still have it?
>I'd be interested in just laying my hands on one briefly to try it for
>myself. I like that they separated the number pad from the main
>keyboard to hopefully make it a slimmer/closer to the mouse design
>which is why I've also been looking at tenkeyless keyboards. I briefly
>looked at 60% but they just seem a little too small..

It's just that my pinky is used to where certain keys are after over 20
years typing on a particular type of keyboard. The Sculpt has the
delete key immediately to the right of backspace key, and the insert key
immediately below the delete key (which, btw, is twice as high as a
normal delete key). The idea of separating the number pad was what
originally attracted me to this keyboard, but the key placement on the
right side of the keyboard needs more work. I believe a little
separation of the primary typing keys and the "function" (delete,
insert, etc.) keys would make things a log better.

I do still have it, but I'm out in Massachusetts now: if I were in AK
I'd let you borrow it in a minute. :)

>Also Greg Madden had a IBM Model M keyboard for me! Thanks Greg! I
>need to clean that one up as well, but nothing quite like the buckling
>springs of the old keyboards..

Ooooo... old-school: those things were like tanks! Enjoy the Model M,
and I hope the cleaning goes well.

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]