[aklug] Re: Debian Day August 16, 2015

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2015 - 22:25:28 AKDT

 From Wheezy a while back, "This package contains the deprecated ffmpeg
program. This package also serves as a transitional package to
libav-tools. Users are advised to use avconv from the libav-tools
package instead of ffmpeg." <https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/ffmpeg>

My issue with Debian has to do with trust and the integrity of the OS
package, as well as functionality. At least one of the folks in a
position to influence what is/was included in the Debian distro was also
affiliated with libav (forked from ffmpeg) and managed to get ffmpeg
pulled from the Debian distro. I was shocked when I installed a Debian
package and was informed that ffmpeg was "Deprecated," which was of
course a lie (and not included in the distro or the repository
either). FFmpeg is a tool that I use on a regular basis. What other
packages have been discarded by Debian for reasons other than
functionality and use? Ironically Debian has now moved back to ffmpeg
and dropped libav [1].

--greg schmitz

[1] Corbet, Jonathan. "Why Debian returned to FFmpeg" 2015 July 13;
https://lwn.net/Articles/650816/